Here’s what you’ll do:
- Chop up the leeks, potatoes (bite-sized), onion, garlic, & 6ish strips of bacon–set the leeks and potatoes aside.
- Throw butter into a pot on medium to high heat, once sizzling, throw bacon, onion, and garlic in. Sauté until soft and golden.
- Add leeks and potatoes, reduce heat, and cover. Stir every now and then to ensure nothing is sticking to the bottom. Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add 6 cups (1.4L) of hot vegetable broth and season with salt and pepper, let simmer for as long as you want (but at least 25 minutes).
- At this point, you can either use a food processor (we used a wand in the pot) and puree, or you can leave it chunky. Up to you.
- Fry up the remaining bacon until crispy. Chop it up and use it as garnish (we also used some parsley leftover in the fridge).
You can add heavy cream at the end as well, just keep in mind if you want to store it in the freezer to omit the cream!
Voila! Curl up on the couch, rent a movie, and enjoy with some crusty baguette.