Looking for various activities to celebrate the holidays this year? Lausanne is feeling festive, and has several events and experiences lined up to prove it. Though Christmas may still look and feel different than previous years, we're grateful to share a bit of cheer and conviviality, with these events in mind:
Performing Arts & Entertainment
- Montagne en Scène is back in Lausanne for two exceptional evenings (December 2-3).
- La Clarinette En’Chantée at the l’Abbaye de Montheron December 4, 5, & 11
- Festival of Lights features light installations projected onto 9 of Lausanne’s iconic buildings. Which one is your favourite?
- The Gardner & The Tree concert at Les Docks on December 10.
- Les Grands Concerts n4 by OCL on December 15-16 at Salle Metropole.
- The Art Night Lausanne at Casino Montbenon on December 4.
- Les Urbains festival December 3, 4, 5th
- Bô Orgues at St. François Church until December 20
- Christmas carols by candlelight at St. François, December 21, 22, 23, and 24.
- Christmas carols with the Lausanne children’s choir at St. François, December 17 and 18.
- Christmas Day organ concert at the Cathedral.
- For your last-minute Christmas list or friends impossible to shop for, here are TLG 2021 Holiday Gift Guide #1, #2 and #3, with a focus on local brands and businesses. You’re welcome.
- Local Corner, Rue de Genève 6, open until December 31.
- La boutique des créateurs at Lausanne’s Christmas market.
- Le Gens Chirstmas Raffle (ends December 16) – win great prizes while giving a little help to local creators.
- Le Local Pop-Up near Place de la Palud, open until December 24
- Super Marché – a pop-up focusing on art and design in Chaux-des-Fonds
- Les Nocturnes is going to look a bit different this year, with stores opening until 20h (rather than 22h) on the 17th, 18th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 23rd of December.
Giving Back During the Holidays in Lausanne
- Gift a Christmas present to one of the many children in Lausanne whose families are struggling during these pandemic times. Sapin Solidaire will take place until December 22 on Place Saint-François. Passers-by can collect a wish card, buy the desired gift (with a maximum value of 40 CHF) and bring it back to the chalet, along with the card. It will be given to the child or his family before Christmas.
- Mère Sofia is always looking for volunteers to help out at their soup kitchen, especially from 1 December until 1 of January.
Consider making a donation of food or hygiene products to Solid-ère Lausanne, an organization that was created during the pandemic to support the most vulnerable communities in Lausanne with basic necessities in case of emergency.
Food & Drinks
- Perhaps it’s stating the obvious, but the Bô Noël Christmas market is the place to be all month long. No reservations necessary – spontaneous nights out with friends won’t be this easy again for another 12 months.
- Artisan for a day – Meet the region’s best artisans and taste/make your own creations (December 2-4). To choose from: ice-cream, gin, oil, pasta
- Pintes Ouvertes (December 3-5)
- Vins et Sapins at Henny Farm Fridays & Saturdays 4-18 December
- Let’s raise a glass to celebrate the 7th anniversary of Brasserie de Montbenon (December 11)!
- 219th Ville de Lausanne Wine Auction on December 11
- For the cheese lover who has already done it all, why not enjoy a fondue while on a train?
Sports & Games
- Christmas Run returns this year on December 11, offering routes to suit everyone through the festive streets of the city centre.
- Chibre card game tournament at Superposé on December 8.
- *New this year* two 15-minute Escape Games and the Ferris Wheel at Bô Noël
- Give one of these indoor activities a try – you can get your blood flowing without braving the cold.
- Need an end-of-the year original method to melt (or throw) stress away? Axe throwing (Crissier) is the answer.